Gem ID for Real Life!
Gem ID for Real Life!
Sale Sold out
Regular price $1,331.00
Regular priceUnit price per
Title: Gem ID for Life!
Synopsis: Need to be able to recognise and identify gemstones when buying, and working on customers items, but do not have the time, money or need to do a full gemmology diploma?
This course is for you. With 5 hands-on practical day classes, we will teach you the key skills to enable you to accurately identify common and commercial gemstones.
We will give you enough background in the theory of gemmology so you understand the concepts, but mostly you will be learning through doing, handling hundreds of gemstones, and being taught by people who have tested thousands of gemstones for decades.
The real skills you need to do what you want.
The days are broken up as follows:
- Obligatory Observation - how to really look at gems, paying attention to minute details and features that will not only help you to recognise what they might be, but can tell you what they definitely are not. As well as informing what tests you need to do next to positively identify the stone.
- Practical Polariscope - after the second day you will have mastered the basic use of the polariscope and will be able to separate many common and commercial stones with this tool alone. Tell morganite from kunzite, sapphire from kyanite, topaz from aquamarine and most stones from CZ, synthetic spinel and glass
- Rule you refractometer - by far the most useful of all the gemmologists tools in coming up with a positive ID. On day 3 we will teach you how to use it properly, efficiently and accurately, without decent training it can be a real struggle to use this bit of kit. At the end of day 3 you'll be able to use this alongside what you learnt on day 1 and day 2 to positively identify many common and commercial stones (with a bit of practice!)
- Successful spectroscope - some stones cannot be identified using a polariscope and refractometer alone, but mastering the spectroscope will mean you can use this to identify many stones when you are not able to use a refractometer. By looking at the patterns in a rainbow you can ID Zircon Spessartine Garnet and even some natural Diamond.
- Total Testing - This is the day we pull it all together, show you other tools that you can use to assist your ID as well as going over the methodology of gem testing and the process that will allow you to ID most common and commercial stones you see. This day you will get the chance to ID a range of unknown stones to prove to your self you can do it!
Price: £1250 inc VAT per person (you can pay in 10 monthly instalments if you want!) Just choose Gem ID Payment Plan at checkout - we will set it up for you
- 5 days tuition
- Refreshments all day
- Use of all stones and equipment
- Resources to take away to practice your new skills and support your gem ID when you're going solo
- Jewellery Quarter: Fridays 09:00 (for 09:30 start) until 16:30
- 1st March
- 12th April
- 10th May
- 7th June
- 5th July
- Maidstone: Fridays 09:00 (for 09:30 start) until 16:30
- 8th March (Rescheduled form 22nd March)
- 19th April
- 24th May
- 28th June
- 26th July
The course programme and schedule have been carefully put together, so there is enough time to cover all we need, as well as time in between for the knowledge to sink in, for you to practice and for it to become long-term learning. We have also tried to make sure no classes are during school holidays!
Finally, we will be holding the class in at least 2 locations, so if you cannot make class one month, you can just switch to other location, which gives you a great opportunity to network and meet new people too!